Thursday, November 13, 2014

Dhobi ghat in Agra

when we went to Agra to see the Taj my daughter and I saw
something along the Yamuna river when driving in to the city....
and decided that if we had time we'd stop on the way home...
it was a dhobi ghat we saw- laundry place..
actually it was on both sides of the river
on the opposite side it looked like it was the sari laundry
saw so many colours from far away....
on our side it was more whitish things being washed by the wallah's
it's fascinating to see under what circumstances they work and do the laundry
and how they fill the fields with wash laid out to dry
I must admit that I would never put my bedsheets down on the ground to dry !


under the railway bridge we found the wallah's...
too bad the sky was so smoggy...the Taj is just a silhouette in the distance


it's on the banks of Yamuna river ....


I must admit that this was one of the dirtiest places I have ever walked into here in India...
and the ghat was right there among the buffaloes, kids and a temple....
everyone needs and wants the holy water from Yamuna river



 it's amazing to see how they get it all together...


really nice bike actually...



see the kids playing or looking for something in the mud...
with the Taj in the background


fields used for drying...


not a lot of hanging space compared with the fields...


in the middle of the river on a dried out spot I found more laundry on the ground...
see the dog ?


no, it's not dirt on the lens ...it's a bird


folding the laundry...I wonder how he got out there cause he had water - mud all around..


buffaloes among the laundry....


on the way to a field...I bet it's better for your back to use the head...


in action...they really smash the laundry around...


soap bars are used...and they really scrub...


guess he's moving his tray...done for the day ?


I'm happy that my daughter got to explore the banks with me...
I know she thought this was great !
too bad we weren't on the colourful side though.
I do wonder if the wallah's  see the beauty of the Taj ? 
I'm not sure that they have been there at all.
We do live in totally different worlds !

No comments:

Post a Comment