Friday, September 19, 2014

We explored two more waterholes in Delhi

this morning my friend and I explored two more waterholes - step wells - baolis in Delhi
more precisely the Gandhak ki Baoli and the Rajon ki Baoli, both really close to the Qutub Minar in Merhauli   


Gandhak ki Baoli is situated in Merhauli Village complex in south Delhi..
gandhak means sulphur as the water of the well smelt like it and
baoli means Well with steps ...
I think this baoli was built in 1230 !!
they say this is the biggest one in Delhi...meaning the deepest one I guess...it has
5 levels but as you can see they are all but one under water....
and yes it is used daily by the people living there as you can see...


it is not well maintained.....
but once used for swimming and diving !
in ancient times that is....
from the baoli we walked...


into Merhauli Archaeological park and to the next step well...
which was about 150 meters in


very jungle book like environment


 the Rajon ki Baoli was bigger but not as deep I guess...


this three storyed step well is believed to have been built by Daulat Kahn during the reign of
Sikander Lodi in 1516...


yes, it is deep when you stand at the top of it...

I think they are kind of cool constructions...
and only 10-15 have survived urbanisation...
there used to be a 100 of them in Delhi....
so far I have seen three.. 
 I guess we need to find the other ones too Kathy !



2 comments:

  1. Yes, we do, surfing the net for info..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see the one at red Fort today ! but from standing at the wall...
    You can't access it because someone committed suicide in there and after that they closed it off.

    ReplyDelete