Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A little different jewellery....a bindi




I just had to try wearing a bindi since I'm living in India.....


so what's a bindi ?
The word " bindi "is derived from the sanskrit word "bindu " which means a small drop, a dot or a point. ( I'm wearing a drop )
Traditionally it is a bright dot of red colour applied in the centre of the forehead close to the eyebrows, but it can also consist of other colours with a sign or piece of jewellery worn at this spot.
In some parts of India it's a sign of marriage.
Nowadays it's used mostly for decorative purposes......though I see teachers every day that wears the red bindi as a sign of marriage.
I just fell in love with all the different bindis I saw one day....the colours and shapes....the glitter...




The area between the eyebrows ( where the bindi is placed ) is said to be the sixth chakra, the seat of " concealed wisdom ". The bindi is said to retain energy and strengthen concentration. 
It is also said to protect against demons or bad luck and it  represents the third eye  ( also known as the inner eye ! )
A traditional bindi is red or maroon in colour. A pinch of vermilion powder applied skilfully with a practised fingertip makes a perfect red dot...I guess you need to practise this....
You can only imagine what I would look like if a tried this, so I'm sticking to my sticky bindis....







No comments:

Post a Comment