Sunday, March 17, 2013

Holy cow !!!!

is actually an expression I picked up really fast while living in he US. At the moment I can´t remember if it was Dick or Joan that used it more often than the other !         ( Dick and Joan are my " american " parents that I hold really close to my heart ) I just wish that we saw each other more often.
But to reconnect to the holy cows ( together with elephants,monkeys etc) All of which are sacred animals to the Hindus. But since I met the monkeys yesterday I thought  it was a good idea to start with them and make the connection to Hinduism.


Lord Hanuman - the mighty monkey deity is among the most popular gods in the Hindu pantheon. Hanuman is the mighty ape that aided Lord Rama in his expedition against evil forces. Hanuman is believed to be an avatar of Lord Shiva. He is worshipped as a symbol of physical strength, perseverance and devotion. 


I can also make a connection between the bull,( that I ran into yesterday!), and Hinduism. Nandi, is the name of the bull that serves as the mount, of the God Shiva and as the gate keeper for Shiva and Parvati. 


Did you read about Hinduism when I wrote about Lord Ganesh ? You should....it´s really interesting.
 I have learnt a lot and I guess that gives me an understanding off and insight in Indian life.



All my pictures are from Chattarpur Temple which is a big temple area here in Delhi. Really worth a visit ! Remember..... always remove your shoes before entering.



1 comment:

  1. By the way u should read the book"holy cow" its about an australian woman who moves to india as an xpat. Its really funny. Must read she really goes through some funny things in india and learns a lot!!! Its a book you will really enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete